View Single Post
Old 03-11-24, 09:01 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 1,106 Times in 421 Posts
I don't like wind, dogs, cars. Luckily none of those are too bad around here. While there isn't much traffic around here, there are certain roads that I prefer to ride down, but not up...purely because of blind turns and lack of shoulders. Luckily, there are some safer options for roads that lead back uphill.

The rest of the list I can live with or even enjoy:
  • Rain...as long as it isn't a downpour, I'll ride in it.
  • Cold temperatures...I'm up in the mountains, it gets pretty cold, but not like Siberia cold...I can dress for it. Coldest ride this year was 28F.
  • Excessive heat...it's a fact of life in the summer. Luckily the mountains don't get insanely hot, just a mild dry heat.
  • Snow...if I can physically pedal through it, I'll ride. However, I'd rather not do the ice that forms after a big snow storm...you basically end up with big banks of snow on the side of the road, 2 lanes turn into 1.5, and the road surface turns into a skating rink. I'm not worried about sliding out on the ice, but I am worried about crappy drivers on the ice.
  • Hills...I learned to love them, not really any other options here. Almost every ride is above the 'golden ratio.'
  • Darkness...sometimes in summer, I'll throw lights on one of the bikes and head out before dawn. It's hard to beat getting out on top of some ridgetop to watch the sunrise.
  • Poor riding surfaces...some of our roads feel like you're riding the cobbled classics. I've got a plethora of bikes, so I just take out the one that best suits my intended route. I've got my climbing bike, endurance bike, gravel bike, XC mtb, enduro mtb, etc so lots of options.