Thread: Cycling app?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-24, 08:20 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have been using Map My Ride for a while. I chose it just because it was free. It maps ok but I have doubts about the accuracy of the stays. The other day while riding a local paved trail I saw at one point my computer that I hit 24mph. Map My Ride showed my high speed as 42mph.
What app do most riders use? I see several routes posted where the rider used Strava. How it it?
I've used Ride with GPS, Garmin Connect and Strava. I only use Ride with GPS now if I have to; its interface is SO clunky.

I use Strava all the time. It's pretty well-tuned up. They have a free trial with all the features and when that runs out, you get a less featured but still useful version. I decided to pay for the subscription to have the full version and I really like it. What it does that I like so well is motivate me to ride more. I got my friends roped in, half of my bike club and I meet new riders from around the world. I'm currently in the "Challenge Yourself to Ride 5,000 Miles This Year" group, based in the UK. Any other app, once you learn to use it, will do mapping and keep track of stats, but Strava is the most motivational. It's not only a tracking/GPS/stat app, but also essentially a social network for athletes of all levels.

I bought a stand-alone GPS for my bike (Garmin) and it pairs with the free Garmin Connect app. Garmin connect then can be set up to upload automatically to Strava.
Likes For Smaug1: