Old 03-12-24, 10:46 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly I
I have a friend who has toured many times to Europe from San Francisco. She has always used the industrial saran wrap with good success, leaves the wheels on so the bike will roll, etc. But, on the last few trips the airlines have really cracked down on wrapped bikes. Finally, this year she gave up and boxed her bike. YMMV, of course.

We made our first European tour (flew into Madrid) this summer. Our bikes were in cardboard boxes. All was fine both ways.
Oh she wrapped a whole bike? Does sound easier than boxing, but I think more vulnerable to damage. I'm thinking a 20" wheel folder, pretty compact when folded, though I'd still have to pull the wheels off to put beside frame to make max 62" girth, and it would still be close. Of late, I've realized that if I am allowed two checked bags free, I can separate things, wheels in one bag, frame/seatpost/handlebars and riser/stem in another, other stuff packed around those, will make under 62" for each easy. I'd first get to the airport tons early, see if they would take the whole folded bike no charge, if so great, if not I'd go off to the side and pull things apart and bag. This is all theory, never tried. On the train the folded bike just goes on luggage rack inside passenger car, within Amtrak regs and super easy.