View Single Post
Old 03-13-24, 03:32 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked 3,969 Times in 1,938 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
For historical reference: I salvaged these off a bike that was on the way to the blast furnace. I've had them for a few years and have no use for them. One problem I encountered (given how old and stiff the rubber sleeves are) is finding some tubing that was the right balance of stiff and flexible enough and had an ID a bit less than 2mm. I have no idea what was used in days of yore. Anyway here's what the originals looked like.

Originally Posted by merziac
Aquarium tubing?
- that's what i would have thought, Surgical, apparently.
https://www.bikeforums.net/19475825-post3.html
Originally Posted by rootboy
FWIW, I use 1/16 brass rod for the upper part, with loop to attach to bolt-on brakes. And 1/16 stainless rod for the rub strip part. And then I order some quite expensive surgical tubing, of the proper durometer, (hardness-flexibility), when I can find it...as the bore in it is exactly 1/16th inch. Which is what I've found is necessary.

Here's a couple of pics. I encourage you to try to make some. But for me, there was quite a learning curve.
Likes For SoCaled: