Old 03-13-24, 04:13 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 629 Posts
Murray Missile's March Madness

Or, How to earn your "Varsity" letter the hard way.

I had planned to drag this 1967 Schwinn Varsity to the curb, it had been out in the elements for years before I got it but when I went back to get it something snapped. I'm going to make it functional with parts from the rejects bin. The plan is to buy nothing except bar covering, it has those miserable 22mm steel drop bars so I bought some cheap Grab On style foam grips. Otherwise I think I haved everything to make it go. I'll give it the #0000 steel wool and WD-40 treatment to remove rust, polish the aluminum the best I can and wax it up. Why you ask? Damned if I know, there is no logical reason other than I want to see what I can do with it. When it's all done I'll probably give it away, Surely somebody will want a free functional Schwinn Varsity with braze on DT shifters LOL, I can't be the only looney out here.

I'd feel bad about leaving it outside for 2 years except it had been outside for a good 10 or 15 years before I got it. Surprisingly other than the BB bearings, chain and maybe the RD everything moves freely. Pedals and seatpost came right out and the chrome on the seatpost isn't even rusty! Here's the before, I won't post the closeups, they're too gruesome LOL.

--