View Single Post
Old 03-13-24, 07:59 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 378 Posts
I tried riding with NYCC on group rides for my ability at the time over 10 years ago and just hated all the rules and all the stops, and even the routes. They were more interested in getting to the diner than the ride itself. It was early in the season and still cold outside so I just wanted to keep riding, or just a quick break while they wanted to sit for pancakes. And not just 1 or 2 people, the entire group of 10-15. We also would meet and then stand around in the cold morning waiting to get started. The pace was too slow. The pace was too fast.

A few months later I ran into a woman that was also new to the group that I usually hung with on the rides and I asked if she kept going, because I just stopped. She ripped it to shreds, with the same complaints that I had, and said I was the only reason she kept going as long as she did because I rode at her pace.

The only group rides I do anymore are the big organized events, where you always find people that are riding at your pace. I otherwise ride alone, at my own pace, on my own spur of the moment routes, at my own time. If I happen to find someone en route that is doing the same we may hang for a while for the company but when it's time to split, I split. Oh, and I'll do rides with my adult kids sometimes. I've built up bikes for them that are better than my own in ways.
Likes For zacster: