Old 03-14-24, 12:24 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2514 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
the tech starts off with good intentions, but soon enough it'll be exploited for a bad cause.
Actually the tech starts out with exploitation (of y'all's fears) as the basis. It can't do any of what it says. Not that it has to. Truly bad stuff happens so rarely (despite what y'all's think) that the Copilot will never actually have to prove itself. WHEN it fails to protect you ... oh well ... in the best case (for them) no one will ever know, and in the worst case, the rider will be blamed for being unable to respond to the warning. And mainly that is the case! If a cager wants to off you, then you are off. There is no existing technology that can save you. Save your money instead.

Even if a cager doesn't necessarily want to off you ... well, not that long ago, in my city, a cager in a pickup (really) with bald tires (in the rain) tromped on the gas when the light turned green and spun out instantly whacking the cyclist next to him into oncoming traffic. RIP. Happened in a split second. With a Copilot, the cyclists crumpled bike would have a $400 accessory that will be salvaged with the rest of the kit. The outcome would be the same. I don't think I have ever told the BF readership what to, or not to, do with their hard earned (or not) money, but I hope no one in this thread buys one of these things. Actually, I'm hearing some pretty disappointing things about the Varia products. I could easily buy one of those, but just wasn't entirely convinced as to their worth. I'm glad I held off. None of this stuff is ready for prime time. But $400 for a souped up Cycliq is just beyond the pale. Don't do it.

By the way ... AI? Do you know how much computer power real AI requires? Do you think Chat GPT can run on anything less than two mainframe computers in a RAID array? Chat GPT only parses datasets of written language. The Co-pilot is (presumably) making complicated analysis of object motions in real time. You'd need a minivan to haul around the computer that could actually manage the data that a real AI system would need for this use case.
Likes For Leisesturm: