View Single Post
Old 03-14-24, 01:03 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 777 Posts
I once accidentally found the ideal saddle height for me. I was on a tour, on my Surly LHT. I had gone through all sorts of machinations over a few years trying to get the saddle height right with my B17. It was close, but not perfect. I was initially fitted, but the seat height was definitely too high. I used Steve Hogg's approach to setting seat height, and got it better. I dropped it quite a bit using his method, but something always nagged me that it was still a bit too high, but I resisted. I would get some perineum pain on long days.

One weekend my wife drove out to spend the weekend with me while on tour. I had her bring an old saddle I had that had a cutout. I put it on and rode around the campground and immediately thought, no way! I put the Brooks back on and rode, and it was instant saddle nirvana. I inadvertently installed it a bit lower. I rode all that day and it was amazing. Zero pain, and everything felt good. It didn't matter if I rode 35 miles, or 70. No pain, and I could get up and do it again the next day.

I have kept the saddle at that height, and five years later, I have had no pain, and no more saddle sores. It is just perfect. I should have listened to my gut before that and lowered the saddle a bit, but I was holding onto the vestiges of the ridiculous formulaic methods of setting saddle height. I also noticed that people use the wrong method of setting saddle height when using the heel on the pedal method, placing the pedal arm perpendicular to the ground instead of inline to the seat tube. Inline with the seat tube is actually the bottom of the stroke, and the spot where your leg will be most extended. That position on my bike correlates very closely with my current "accidental" seat position. Had I continued to listen to most fitters, and used all the formulaic methods, I would be still having pain. For that matter, had I continued listening to myself, I would still be having pain. It took a quick haphazard install of my seat and seat post to teach me what the correct seat height is for me, which actually ended up confirming Steve Hogg's method, and the method of other fitters who use a dynamic approach to bike fitting. BikeFitJames is another one who has a great approach to bike fitting.
Likes For phughes: