View Single Post
Old 03-16-24, 11:59 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 309 Posts
Carbon wheel quality?

I have a pair of Reynolds AR80 carbon wheels on my 2015 Shiv (rim brake, clincher). I like them quite a bit, however, I do notice the front 80mm deep wheel will get pushed around a bit in windy conditions. I'd like to find just a single front wheel to run on windier days so I'm looking around. The problem seems to be that it's a little more difficult to find just a single wheel. Also, because I prefer to run both 80s most of the time, I'd rather not put out a bunch of cash for a wheel that's only going to see use ~25% of the time.

I know names like Zipp, Enve, Reynolds and Mavic, but even if I can find just a single front wheel in a 30-40mm profile, I'm still looking at $400-$500 or more. Which leads me to conclude I'm going to have to look at cheaper wheel options from Asia. I personally don't have any problems with products produced over there, but I avoid Chinese as much as possible (for multiple reasons it would be best to leave unexplored).

Of course, I don't really know what manufacturers to avoid and which ones make a quality wheel and provide good service. This is where I turn to the good people of BF. I could spend hours on my internets doing various searches and reading all kinds of reviews. But I kind of figure this forum is something of a clearing house for exactly the information I'm looking for. I get that a lot of it will be personal preference, and there will be some conflicting opinions, but I expect I will trust many of your personal experiences over some random review I just pulled up in a search.

So who do you like? Who should I avoid?