Old 03-16-24, 03:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,575 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
A short dip in water doesn't cause any significant amount of rust.
That is not my experience. I had a Shimano 105 (CN-HG600) which I rinsed out with boiling water, then blow dry with an air compressor. There were little spots with surface rust by the time I was done with the blow drying (in a matter of minutes).

Water on the chain also doesn't deter wax adhesion as any water clinging to the chain will be replaced by wax as soon as the chain is dropped in. Any water inside the chain will flow out and down to the bottom of the wax container.
I don't think so. Water is a polar molecule, which would tend to adhere to metal more than a non-polar molecule like OMS or wax. Thus, a slight amount of water would remain within the chain.

Wax has low thermal capacity and it heats up really quickly. Having two wax containers on the heat can easily cause one of them to overheat. I wouldn't want to deep fry with two containers simultaneously either.
I understand about low thermal capacity and flammability of wax. I was just not sure that there is much difference between watching one pot vs. two pots of the same material.

The reason I don't use a crock pot is that my wax has a melting point of over 90 degrees celsius. A crock pot won't keep the surface molten especially since my garage isn't heated.
As I noted above (in post #1240), a Crock Pot (the actual brand, not the genericized term that some people use to refer to all slow cookers) would maintain a temperature of 98 *C.

I'm unsure whether OMS will remove grown salt crystals.
As noted above, salt does not dissolve in OMS. But if one has waxed a chain properly to begin with, any road salt would be on the surface of the wax, such that the salt would also come off when you use OMS to remove the wax.

However any water on a chain will quite readily flow off the chain and to the bottom of the pot below the wax, where it'll remain until you remove the puck and pour out the water.
Some slight amount of water would remain within the chain because water is polar while wax and OMS are not.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Water can evaporate at temperatures well below 100°C.
Yes, when the water is on the surface. But in paraffin, much of the heavier water would sink below the wax.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 03-16-24 at 03:26 PM.