Old 03-20-24, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 835 Posts
I have been having bad luck with wireless speedometers lately so I have ridden a few times lately without immediate data. I don't want my phone on the handlebars.

I mostly commute, so I generally check the clock. I also like to see my speed, average speed and distance. It adds a piece to my morning self-evaluation as to my health. It also helps be evaluate the state of the bike I'm on that day, how it compares to the performance of my other bikes, and how the weather and wind are affecting my ride.

Since I mostly ride on the street, all my bikes have a bar-mounted AirZound Airhorn button...even the project bike. I used to have bells for pedestrians on all my bikes, but I had decluttered two years ago, but have since added those back to my main commuters. And at night I pop my main headlight on the handle bars.

I also just remembered three of my six bikes have secondary, interrupter brake levers on the upper portion of their drop bars. Also good to have in traffic.

I used to put mirrors on my bars, but after 25+ years of using a glasses mounted take-a-look mirror, I don't need bar mirrors.

From 2012 to 2022 I would listen to spoken-word podcasts in one ear while riding...even with multiple routes, after so many years they had become dull. But with the new job I had new commute routes to learn in 2022, and there's a bit more traffic interaction as I cross downtown Colorado Springs and take more heavily traveled paths. So I stopped listening and haven't felt the need. Also my commutes now average 33 minutes as opposed to 45 minutes. On longer weekend rides I will start out without audio support and so far have only resorted to it a few times.

And while I enjoy keeping abreast of my 'performance', I'm not a data geek. And although I like to keep up a spirited pace, I don't race through the streets, n the same way as I don't speed through traffic in my car. I suppose it's part of getting older, more patient and more cautious. And at 62, any thorough data analysis would only show a general decline over my remaining cycling years.