View Single Post
Old 03-20-24, 07:26 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Suntour freewheel has been adjusted and the play is gone. Seems smooth so far, though I will have to take some time and listen to it for a bit to make sure all is good. I mean, in all fairness, there's a bit of wear to the ratchet, so probably I should look at other freewheel bodies I have and see if I can transplant the sprockets to it. But that's not something urgent.
Other than that I managed to find some time to start digging up parts for C5 and Superator. Now I'm not sure whether I will use Huret Success Titane for C5. On one hand, that would keep it very authentic, on the other though, it will be a downgrade to anything else I might put on it (most likely Suntour Vx, I have one NOS). Looking at that poor Huret, which, other than Jubile, was their top of the line, and comparing it to Suntour Vx is like comparing a crude stone age tool to a nice, artisan made one. So perhaps instead of going for all genuine Motobecane components, I should just go for period correct, perfectly functional and comfortable in use.
Other than that, got a Suntour Blue Line rear derailleur in post today. Lots of muck, grime and rust where it could rust. So we'll see how this goes. Mechanically seems sound and I have some spare parts from 2 Vx. One nice thing is that the pulley wheels do not seem to have much wear. I don't have many Suntour pulley wheels in good condition to spare, so this will be handy whatever the outcome of this overhaul. The idea is to use this RD together with Blue Line FD on some mixte frame in the future.
Likes For VintageSteelEU: