Old 03-21-24, 04:45 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Many motos came with suntour. Seems like a reasonable move. Vx is the bomb. Cheap, light and great working.
It's interesting how after a year of handling and using mostly Suntour derailleurs (Superbe and Vx), pulling the set of Huret Success TItane from the box feels like going back in time more than to the mid-70's. The RD is quite nice actually and I like the fact I can nearly completely dismantle it, including pulling parallelogram bolts out. Unfortunately, the picot spring is tired and probably could use a replacement, so that's something I will have to look for. I'm hoping one of the 10 or so Sachs/Huret derailleurs I have gathering dust, can become a donor. As for the front derailleur, that is one clunky mechanism. This does feel ancient in terms of design. The quality of finish isn't great, even comparing with something mid-range like Suntour Vx. Great thing about it though is that, again, it can be dismantled nearly completely. Not that it's easy to put back together But overall, both of these I think would work great on a late 60's frame and wouldn't feel out of place.
The parts I have for this build came off French market Motobecane C5: Belleri stem and handlebar, Hutchinson rubber covers, Weinmann 605 levers and brakes, Stronglight / Motobecane headset, Stronglight Competition bottom bracket, Stronglight 105 BIS TER crankset, SR pedals. I might even reuse Sedis chain from that one. I haven't decided on the seatpost yet, but it will likely be SR Laprade (as the original one) or JPR. Original saddle I had was Turbo, I will probably switch to San Marco Concor. Orginal wheels were basic Maillard hubs on Weinmann concave rims - this will be changed to Normandy Luxe Competition on MA40 when I get the chance to overhaul the hubs and rebuild the wheels. Interestingly, the freewheel I had with this bunch was Suntour NWN. And Huret Success Titane derailleurs. This configuartion was very typical for Motobecane C5 sold in Europe. Other variants were, from what I've seen in the catalogs, Super Champion rims, Pelissier 1000 hubs and Philippe handlebar. I have also seen C5s with top level Simplex derailleurs (and SLJ shifters instead of Huret ones). In France, they would typically be equipped with French derailleurs. But of course, I don't have to keep it exactly the same way it appears in the catalog. Bicycles are for riding, so they should be well equipped for that.
The thing is: I can keep it as close to original, as possible, and it will be a nice, relaxed ride occasionally. But the handlebar is a bit to narrow with the current bend, the brake levers are a bit too forward with Hutchinson rubber handlebar cover not allowing to move them up. So I can foresee making some upgrades in the future. Perhaps this is the frame I should put Suntour Sprint components on and use Vx ones on my commuting bike?
Likes For VintageSteelEU: