View Single Post
Old 03-21-24, 05:37 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,700 Times in 1,949 Posts
I don't go to many bike shops, but most of them have a bunch of bikes, and only a few really high-end bikes ... most are mid-range (which is still pretty expensive) but most shops know that New customers (unless they are already experienced riders) are not going to drop $5 K on a bike ..... Of course, sellers will try to upsell.

If people go to the wrong shops ... but those shops aren't going to stay in business long. Well, maybe in some areas ... but most places, there simply aren't enough cyclists buying new and expensive bikes often enough for a shop to survive just sell $5 K bikes

Last I looked, the vast majority of bikes bought int he US come from big-box stores. And the "CF-Killer" thing ... says to me that yes, shops and even manufacturers are realizing that they have saturated the high-end market and maybe scared off some of the lower-end market, for whom an Al-frame, CF-fork bike with Sora or mechanical 105 is all the bike they would ever need.
Likes For Maelochs: