View Single Post
Old 03-21-24, 09:02 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 4,025 Times in 1,955 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled

looking at the tubing sticker, color and shape, I thought great, that looks like an "Ishiwata" decal, I wonder what variety?

I opened the detail shot and my eyes went straight to the "number" expecting to see the more common 022 or 019 . . . 014!!? oh wait, Not Ishiwata? Soma - Hi-tensile?

I have seen many Reynolds 531 knock-offs, but this is the first Ishiwata knock-off I have seen. Anyone else have examples?
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Wow, that is interesting. Aside from the numbers and text it is a straight up copy. It's odd because beside us bike nerds, who amongst consumers really looked for Ishiwata tubing? Perhaps they were hoping that a customer seeing a label that looked like a label on a better model Trek would be swayed?

For comparison sake, here is the proper Ishiwata label that would go on the top of the seat tube:

Originally Posted by non-fixie
On an early eighties Jan Janssen Tour de France, built by Vaneenooghe:

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
The 014A tubing was associated with Soma Fabrications ladies Olympiad bike frames made in the early 70's as a low-end bike, the tubing was made by Ishiwata, it was their lowest end tube set.
So 014A is Ishiwata? so not mimicry
What about the Super tubes 220 above on the Jan Jenssen? I see numerous examples of Ishiwata 022 Jan Jenssen frames, is this like the Soma where they appropriated/self branded the tubing?

So maybe no Mimicry? Just making it their own? what would be the terminology for that?