Old 03-21-24, 09:31 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: Gängl, Trek 938, Raleigh Professional, Paramount, Allez, Guerciotti, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 750, Miyata 1000 < Huffy

Liked 4,008 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe

Kinda fun simplifying.

This right here really hits home for me. I think this is the point. The point is to enjoy this hobby, yes? To have fun? To allow it to keep us in good physical and mental health? Yes!

When I have 4-6 projects all languishing, its really hard to do that. Number one, there is no way you can phyically benefit, because the bikes are in pieces, and second, there is a lot of mental disorganization in this. I'm a naturally disorganized person, so having multiple project is a bad thing. I do NOT want to be that guy that holds on to a project for 30 years, then never finishes it and then I die. Nope.

On that not, I got a yellow cable kit and chain in, which means I can FINALLY finish the Jungle Junker Allez. I just need to put it together. I save the yellow bar tape (its in OK shape), I found a decent set of 600 levers at the co-op to match the other 600 stuff on the bike, and in a weekend, it should be ready to rock!

Plus, I went for a bike ride today, and the son really wanted to try out another vintage bike with pedal cages. I think they really fascinate him. He loves trying new things and wants to practice something until he becomes proficient. So, I lowered the seatpost on the blue PXN-10, and let him go to town. I hopped on the Trek 600, and we both went riding. He got to also try out friction shifting for the first time. This is what it's all about. Since these smaller 52-53cm bikes seems to *barely* fit him, I'm going to not immediately get rid of them, but my hope is to build them up (the Gitane, the PXN-10 *which still needs drivetrain reburbing*, the Midget Miyata) and just sort of see what he likes. Right now, his main bike is a Specialized Crossroads, which honestly is a GREAT bike, and can really grow with him, but who am I to stop him new found love of ancient, crusty vintage road bikes??

So for now, I'm going to leave the 52-53cm stuff alone, and maybe just focus on the 'my size' stuff. The 60s PX-10...it's probably going to go. It is a GREAT riding bike, and one of the bikes that first got me into this hobby, but maybe someone else could enjoy it more. I'm going to build up the green 1979 Trek 930 w/ all Campy and test it out against the 1983 Trek 600 (a Clang find) and may the best bike win.

I also would like to get the Sport Racer built back up, but the Midget and the Allez are the priority right now. The Huffente is also going through a bit of a makeover right now, but that is more Area 51 type stuff to be revealed at a later time. Regarding the Allez and the Sport Racer, I'm pretty interested to see how the 55cm size stacks up against the other rides. Maybe it will be the goldilocks size for me.

Keep up the great work, everyone. You guys are doing great.

Likes For AdventureManCO: