Old 03-23-24, 08:24 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Thanks for taking the initiative. I had thought about sending a question off, but didn’t follow through.

It’s their table, although they might have a mfg’s fallback response which would be tough to track down each specific torque to a prep recommendation.

John
John, you're correct, Pete from Park customer service did respond within a few hours, which they tend to do with my questions to them. Here is their response:

"Those are taken from the manufacturer as opposed to being generic like "for a 5x0.8 thread bolt, the max torque is...". So in the manufacturer specified specs you will want to defer to the manufacturer. But you point is valid, we could make a note of that in the chart, otherwise what is the point if you have to go look it up anyway. One note is that there is an assumption that the bolt was prepped from the factory and unless someone did something to the threads (which does happen) to modify the factory prep, if you are servicing the bike post initial assembly, then most people just check the torque, they don't remove the bolt, re-prep it and then reinstall it. Anyway, I will pass this question/suggestion on."

As a side note, on the Park site, https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...hread-concepts, section 4 recommends greasing threaded fasteners unless the manufacturer advises dry threads.
Likes For MudPie: