View Single Post
Old 03-24-24, 05:52 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
First snag with the build: headset. I found my Stronglight P3 for the Superator yesterday. First problem is the crown race. Or the steerer tube, rather. There is that thicker section the crown race is supposed to sit on. With my other bicycles (Motobecane ones, at least), that section was thicker at the bottom, next to the fork crown, and thinner at the top to match the inside shape of the crown race. Which doesn't seem to be the case with this one and I'm guessing I will have to grab a metal file later and modify it. Because right now the crown race sits 2mm above the fork crown. That's something to look into when I get myself a length of PVC pipe, so no rush.
The second problem, as pictured below, is a bit more puzziling. The flat section of the steerer tube, which on steerer tubes I have on other bicycles goes down a couple of centimeters, on this one is about 8-10mm only. As a result, the serrated spacer sits well above the top race. I think with the bearing balls in and the crown race seated properly, I think the gap might be slightly smaller, but not by much.The locknut has a lip that steerer tube buts against, so that's fully on (ideally I'd like it to sit 0.5mm above the top edge of the steerer). This is a new one for me, I usually had the opposite problem: headset stack being too high for the steerer tube.
The gap itself is not a problem, I can always look for more round spacers, refelctor holders etc. Serrated side not being flush with the top race is a problem. This makes headset adjustments impossible. Does anyone know if it's fine for me to file down the steerer tube and extend the flat section? What would be the best method for that? Handheld file, rotary tool?