Old 03-24-24, 09:29 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Liked 1,347 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Has this thread helped anyone control their collecting impulses?
It has me, a bike I had tried to buy a couple years ago was just relisted at only $5 more than what I had originally offered him, he had listed it as "make offer". I made what I thought was a fair offer based on what the bike was and it's condition which he rather rudely turned without making a counter offer. He later relisted it with a totally absurd price, about 4 months ago he dropped the price to 25% of his asking price and last night he dropped that price by another 40%. It's well worth the current price just in parts but... parts I have, room I don't.

Another bike I had been looking for just popped up locally in my size. Priced too high but I'm confident it will sit on Marketplace quite a while until the seller comes to his senses and knocks it down to a reasonable price. Then somebody will snag it but that somebody will not be yours truly.

Why am I looking you ask? To see what the local market is doing for my own inventory reduction attempts. In the past week there have suddenly been truckloads of parts/project bikes and parts listed. Some are for insane prices and some at scrap prices or outright free and there were a couple others that would have had me already in the car to pick them up just a few weeks ago. Now all I see is competition for getting rid of some of mine.

I'm going to check a few of mine today to see if they can take 700 X 32, 35 or 38 tires. If they can't they are OUTTA here!

Tried selling my "knee recovery" bike for a couple weeks and it didn't even get any looks at the ad, probably because people just saw another old Traveler not what had been done to it and being a "belly button" bike there are lots of these on marketplace for MUCH less. Of course all those need a hundred dollars minumum to make them functional again and mine was ready to roll with upgrades but non-bike people don't see that. It's a sweet ride and the paint is really nice but I no longer need it and I have better uses for the 700c wheels and 35mm Kenda Kwests so it will either get downgraded or parted out and the frame given away, the latter being the most likely scenario.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-24-24 at 05:07 PM.