Old 03-24-24, 03:11 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I was off my two wheelers for a few months post rotator cuff surgery. I bought (and then sold) a tadpole recumbent and it was a satisfactory substitute. I lost a few hundred dollars in the transactions, but it was worth it having wheels for a few months. Actually a fun change of pace and I'm very glad I tried it. Not fun enough to keep in the long run - too large to store and a hassle to transport (I used a small utility trailer). I'll definitely do that again if I can't ride a two wheeler,

Might also be worth thinking about for those with neck, back, shoulder or even foot issues. A decent one is not cheap - i.e. you can get a $500 three wheeler but it is an POS overgrown kid's trike. But $2-3,000 new will get you something you'd be happy with, half that used if you can find it. From what I've seen, the used market will recoup you a decent percentage of what you spend.
Originally Posted by Arrowana
Hands and wrists developed intense pain, which forced me to only ride bikes set up to be upright enough that there was no weight on the hands. Then a few months later intense back pain appeared, and made riding seemingly impossible. That was quite the dark period. After a few months decided to try and make a full-suspension MTB as upright as possible, and found I could ride again. The pain has gotten more manageable as time goes on, but still can't ride a rigid bike for anything more than a short test ride.
I had to park my flat bar bikes after finding out the pressure due to wrist angle was causing strain. I switched to drop bars which keep my wrists more straight. At least there’s more choices on where to hold.
Likes For b88: