Old 03-24-24, 07:30 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Too too windy for riding so I spent most of the weekend building a trailer for my new to me Chester Yawl. The Yawl came on a double decker trailer and I’m using much of the upper deck for a bicycle trailer. Parts on hand don’t always work together as envisioned. Did a test ride with the lighter and shorter kayak—better to fail with a plastic boat. I should be able to make these wheelchair wheels from my Carry Freedom trailer work on this boat trailer. More tweaking to come. The Grand Jubile will do the hauling. The stock 32 in the back might not be enough with the 42. We’ll see.

That's a nice way of wrapping the handlebar tape, over the hoods. I would have expected that to look bulky, but somehow it doesn't.

Today I had a novel idea: how about I actually measure the crown race ID and the steerer tube OD. The result? Well, the crown race ID is 26.5 and 26.4 (this crown race has a lip inside). Steerer tube section / shim the crown race goes on is 27.0mm. So it looks like some extra work will be needed, both to shave 0.5mm of that shim (or whatever it's called) and mirror the lip on the crown race. Then I think I'll grab the rotary tool to extend the flat section down the thread a bit and chase the threads with a spare French locknut and use reflector holder plus spacer to get the stack height right. At least that's the plan.
Speaking of plans, the Superator concept got modified today (again). I got Cyclone MK1 derailleurs on their way, but today I have also found a Huret Jubilee that seems to fit Campy dropouts. I tried to resist, I really did. I've got probably 20 derailleur sets I should get rid of. But then I looked at the Jubilee and it just looked sooo pretty. So. I've got Jubilee on the way. Since Superator is supposed to be the weight weenie, perhaps it's best if it gets the lightest vintage derailleur available. 50 grams lighter than the Superbe originally planned for it. Still need to find a front Jubilee and that probably won't be much lighter than Superbe FD. Shifters got changed to Simplex SLJ (5g lighter than Suntour Sprint ratcheting ones). Switching to Weinmann brakes shaves another 50g though. So whilst 100g is not that much, this might be of some use if I don't use a modern saddle.

Likes For VintageSteelEU: