Old 03-24-24, 08:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,974 Times in 2,363 Posts
Sean- The bike business (at least the retail/service side) has been "behind" the automotive industry in many ways for many decades. There's huge numbers of customers and amount of money that flow through the auto industry, and other huge industries (insurance, government) who see profits (votes) supporting the auto and it's use. The business model, economics and "social politics" are just too against the bike industry.

It has been said to me by many (and I've passed it along to more) that the retail/service bike business is one that offers those who can't work in the big business, civil service, corporate highly structured world a place they can work in. A place that they have control, they can produce within without the hassles of what they see as the problem (the big business thing many times). Some of this is changing as the margins are slimmer and the cost of business grows and the purchase options expand. The LBS is really having to be on top of their business game to survive these days. Kind of glad I retired last year.

I still do a little bike work for a small group of friends. I charge far too little for the skills but it's a nice trade off to not have to do this stuff every day. Andy