Old 03-25-24, 04:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 5,074 Times in 3,129 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
My newer Tissot automatic is now running within 30 seconds a month, my formerly working Tissot auto that was 47 years old when it croaked forever ran within 15 seconds a month, my dads 1963 Omega auto runs within 15 seconds a month, the crazy thing is I have my grandfather's old Illinois windup pocket watch from 1918 that runs within 5 seconds a month to this day! It runs that good after grandfather fell off a bridge he was working on went into a river with the watch! I think he must had taken the watch in to have it cleaned because it's real shiny inside, no corrosion, nothing. Now I do have a Seiko auto that I rarely wear, it runs about 4 minutes slow a month. I tried to open the back of the Seiko to correct the timing but couldn't get the back to budge.

Any automatic can be made to run as good as a quartz, and sometimes better, just depends on whether or not you take the watch to a jeweler and tell them you want the time to be adjusted so it's darn near perfect, and they can do it, might take a couple of weeks to make that happen, and they will of course charge you. Some auto watches instead of having a small lever that you can adjust the timing with are now coming out with a plastic module that has the timing already set by the factory and you can't change it supposedly, but then I heard you can, but it has something to do with moving a small weight around if I remember correctly. Don't ask me about more detail about the module because I'm not a watch repair person. One of my quartz watches ran about a minute off every month, which that particular watch kept worse time then any of my autos except for that Seiko. Since I don't wear the Seiko I'm going to take a vice grip and thick cloth and clamp the case, then try opening the back again, hopefully it won't break but if does not a big deal since I don't wear it anyway.
You check them that often and keep them all running? I don’t actually know how accurate my mechanical watches are, but I know only 1 of them might get anywhere near 1 second per day, but I kind of doubt it. I know they can be adjusted, but they are affected by all sorts of variables over time, including how you wear them. None of mine are cheap watches either. All high-end Swiss movements. Quartz is just inherently more accurate and stable which is why the COSC quartz chronometer standard is 2 orders of magnitude higher. I only have 2 quartz watches, the G-Shock and Omega X-33 I mentioned earlier and they are both super accurate without any maintenance. I like mechanical watches, but they are more of a novelty today for normal use. I do have one functional dive watch (DOXA sub 300) but I don’t dive so it’s just for show.