Old 03-26-24, 03:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4888 Post(s)
Liked 4,053 Times in 2,627 Posts
I hate the self-resetting QRs. And a QR that didn't/couldn't self re-set bailed me out years ago in a race. Crashed in the Stowe race 4 miles form the finish. That race was the last serous climbing race I was going to see that year, my final season. I'd solo'd over the Notch to put my stamp on it.

Got up, got back on and started to chase. Front rim was hitting the brake shoe and causing quite a "whump!" every revolution. Thankfully, all I had to do was slightly squeeze the lever and push the DiaCompe QR tab aside. And could use the front brake as before, just a slightly longer reach to get to the lever. No distracting re-set.

Then a clubmate by the name of Peter Mooney caught up to me, paced me then sent me up the road. I caught the field and placed in the sprint.

If I have a wheel true issue and need to toss off a QR, I would much rather it be on the lever than the caliper. On the lever, I still have full braking power (rim permitting). But in that regard, self re-setting QRs are useless. (Wouldn't want one on the caliper either if it has the QR cam that allows the lever to be left half-open. On the fly brake adjusts.)
Likes For 79pmooney: