Old 03-28-24, 12:00 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by ziggycj
My front wheel was off centre (so to centre it I had to lift one side slightly higher in the dropouts). I was unsure if it was a wheel issue or a fork issue so took to a bike shop and they trued the wheel. It now sits properly in the dropouts but is visibly off centre. Is this normal? This is my first disc brake bike and I read they are normally more to one side, but I would have expected to still align with the centre.

Or have they trued a wheel when it's a fork issue?

It should be centered better than that. Either the wheel lateral true is off, or the fork is laterally bent, or the fork dropouts for the axle are not even so the axle cocks. If either of the latter two, fork/dropout issues, truing cannot correct, because the angle of the wheel will not be in line with the plane of the bike frame, which means if you center the wheel in the top of the fork, it will be off from the bike centerline at the road surface. I would recommend they put the bike on a stand, use the gismo that locks the steering straight, front wheel out, back up, then eyeball how the fork looks with respect to the frame behind it, that's to judge fork blade straightness. If looks good, next check dropouts for slot evenness, ideally they would have an extra-long axle that can go in there temporarily, or just a long straightedge held upward against both of the dropout upper radius, just to eyeball that with respect to the frame. If dropouts not even, the solution, if there is enough metal, is on the dropout that is too low, enlarge the radiused slot upward, until the dropouts are even.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-28-24 at 12:08 AM.