View Single Post
Old 03-29-24, 03:42 AM
Low Gear Louie
Rider of Unpainted Roads

Bikes: *Surly Bridge Club, *Surly Ogre, *Specialized Expedition (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Bridge Club that I bought in 2021 as a complete bike and use for heavily loaded touring and for day-rides.

The big advantages are the ability to run wide tires with racks and fenders and the beefy frame that can handle the load.

It is very hard to find a good touring bike you can run 2 inch or higher tires with racks and fenders. Surly Ogre is a similar option you should consider. The two disadvantages are the over-responsive steering as well described by another respondent and no place to mount a kickstand. The only situation the steering has been a problem for me is when I am climbing a steep hill. It is nearly impossible to run a straight course, which is a very significant issue when cars are passing you. Trust me, you'll climb like a drunken goat. On the plus side is the wide tire capacity which is great for gravel and for a more comfortable ride. Major changes I made to stock bike: 1. Replaced hydraulic brakes with mechanical. 2. Replaced 32 spoke wheels with 40 spoke wheels (ka-ching$). 32 spoke wheels make no sense when touring, and Surly ought to know better (pet peeve of mine). 3. Replaced stock handlebars with Velo Orange Crazy Bars.