View Single Post
Old 03-29-24, 09:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,104 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by George Mann
But cheaper doesn't mean cheap. I haven't found a single under $2k ebike that compares with its overall quality, and the majority of the under $1k conventional bikes are inferior as well.

My old '76 Raleigh Sports was of superior quality, and weighed 45lbs. I don't remember the riding dynamics of it to be too noticeably different, and I was much younger and heathier at the time.

A Raleigh Superbe weighed 52lbs!
I mean the Retroglide IE wasn't a particularly exceptional bike, Raleigh is on the way out these days and has been for a while. It is sad but it is unfortunately the truth. There are plenty of similar bikes to it on the market at that 2k mark. This would be one that while not a great bike has a great motor and punches pretty high for the price it is the Ride1 Up Prodigy which in this iteration has a Brose mid-drive.

I am not a vintage Raleigh expert by any means but if memory serves the Sports and Superbe were more on the entry level of things, granted back then that meant a lot more than it does now and they were good quality bikes but not designed for lightweight anything.