View Single Post
Old 03-29-24, 10:55 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
VegasJen I'd take that as a confirmation that you're intelligent enough and willing to consider enough variations that you've already done everything a pro fitter can do.

Except the cranks, which you'd figured out but hadn't implemented.

Now cut back on the analysis and kibbitzing, get back out there and enjoy riding the bike!
Boy, you are making a seriously dangerous assumption there!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What it seems nobody has mentioned or asked is what kind of fit you got VegasJen a static fit is generally pretty bad sort of like going to a Subway and saying subs are bad. A static fit could help some but a dynamic fit is going to be the way to go think something like Retül or similar. It also may not be huge tweaks either not everyone needs huge tweaks but having someone point out the tweaks maybe confirm things you had been thinking is not a bad thing. Not everything requires the massive adjustable wrench sometimes a 2.5 hex wrench is all that you need and it may seem more silly to pay money to get that but it can help. Plus most fitters will have a test ride period and then you come back to make additional adjustments as needed or follow up in some way.
I would have to say this was a dynamic fit. Don't remember the brand but it was on one of those bike replicator mock up things. She took measurements off my bike, transferred them to her replicator and then from there she could adjust seat height, crank arm length, reach, stack, etc, etc. Put those little dots on my ankles, knees and hips, then filmed me through my peddle stroke.
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I suspect many of us achieved our “fit” by years of riding and then making adjustments as needed. Undoubtedly a much longer way of doing it but I’ve found a fit I wouldn’t alter no matter who gave contrary advice.
Shorter crank arms was my last major change after spending considerable time on aero bars, it felt like I was nearly kneeing myself in the chest every pedal stroke.
I have made that comment myself, regarding "kneeing myself in the chest". The thing is, this Shiv has the shortest crank arms of any of my bikes at 165mm. When she reviewed my peddle stroke, even with the 165mm crank arms originally on the Shiv, I had over 80* angle at the bottom of my peddle stroke but something like 36* at the top.
I have short legs.
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
What is the new crankarm length?
She recommended 145mm.
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
IIRC VegasJen mentioned getting custom made cranks in another thread so presumably < 165 mm?
That's the thing. I've suspected for some time I needed shorter crank arms. Originally I ordered a 150mm crank set from a crank shortening service recommended here on this forum. That was for my Ridley Cheetah, which I have yet to install. But literally just a few days after I ordered that crank set I fell into a deal on this Shiv that I could not pass up. So I just ordered the 145mm crank set for the Shiv. I will still put the 150mm in the Cheetah and that bike may end up living in Florida for when I visit family.
Likes For VegasJen: