Old 03-30-24, 06:01 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
If like me, you are on the low ring when you need bailout lows so probably on the big cogs, middle ring for middle cogs (although the middle ring can do all the cogs because even at extreme small or big cog, the chainline angle is less than on the small or big ring), and big ring when on the small cogs.
Yes, similar here. I don't wait until I'm in the largest sprocket to change down to the small ring. Usually by the second- or third-largest...if I need more low gear, I'll go down to the low ring at that point. Similar with the large ring. I may use at least half of the cassette in either the small ring or the large ring, just depending on the situation (to avoid having to shift the front a bunch and get those big cadence changes).

I like all this because it gives me something to do and think about while riding. One of the main reasons I ride is stress relief and I ride to rid my mind of the things that fill it on a daily basis at work. Giving it something to think about, like shifting gears and traversing the "drivetrain ranges" as my speed changes, is good therapy for me. I fully recognize that it can get complicated (some may say unnecessarily so) for those who may be new to cycling, kids, etc., and I absolutely acknowledge how a 1x system can simplify things.

One of my MTBs has a 1x, and I put an oval ring on it, just to play with that and see how it made the ride different. I like it.

I like all the bike things, really. The variety of choice makes this hobby/sport/activity interesting.