TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 3,353 Times in 1,754 Posts
Originally Posted by tireheb
i have been trainning for some years now semi seriously (last season i was doing 11 hours aprox a week, 4.something watt kilo area as reference). but i have never done gym/weights yet and i know thats a pretty big thing im missing. plan is to start it this year. the thing is my off season is now and i will be travelling and will not have access to a proper gym for 3 weeks (or bike). yeah it will be my first real off season also for a while. i dont wanna sit on my ass so im trynig to find a strength routine that can be done not beeing in a gym and could in some way replicate what should be my first weights trainning. i have no clue on how to start this.

any idea tips? maybe im lucky and there is some nice routine in youtube? any info/guiding is welcomed.
PS: yeah i do core stuff.

mega thanks for reading!
Do you have access to dumbells? I do all my core and upperbody stuff at home with just bodyweight exercises, pushups, pullups, planks situps, leg lifts, crunches etc. I use the dumbells for weighted lunges and platform step-ups. Haven't touched a barbell in years, although I may consider a home gym someday with a rack and bumper plates.

For me, weight lifting is more about being overall healthy and strong, and injury prevention. I tend to get overuse injuries. But, I have found over the years that strengthening helps a lot to keep me square on the bike with good form and supported muscles. Gotta make sure the glutes are firing and strong - that is something specifically that can cause problems in an athlete with no lower body work outside of cycling.