Old 03-31-24, 08:52 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Say wha**********

What happened? I've only got one of these, 1 1/8" threadless, and I recently put it on the Trek 950 (in this thread). Is the issue that the press fit OD of the cups too much for the headtube to overcome? Or is it the design, like its not a straight wall sleeve or something? I wonder if it is isolated to just 1" headsets?

Thinking about that makes me think about my Ironman. That headset (was a 1" threadless, high quality alloy Japanese but can't recall which brand) was so tight I thought I might crumple the headtube like what happened to Gugie's Grand Sport.

The CK 1 1/8" that went on the 950 seemed like just the right amount of resistance, maybe just a hair less than I am used to. However, I'm very sad to hear of this, if nothing else for how unexpected such a serious incident that is to have the headtube crack on a headset install. Wowza.
When my bike tech was installing this chris king no thread head set 1inch it cause a crack at the bottom of the head tube , maybe the headset was not correctly reamed and probably the cups too much for the headtube to overcome. My grandis and my coppi have each a threaded campy record headset installed, my Vetta Team got a stronglight X14 threaded headset installed as a replacement because the original one was damaged. On my two Trek MTBs 6500SLR and 6700 SLR I have had installed by my bike tech the Cane Creek 110 EC34 as headset and on my Giant Bonco I have had installed by my bike tech the Cane Creek 40 EC34. My Jamis had a Cane Creek S1 headset and my Peugeot racebike has also a Cane Creek headset and never had any issue with those.For the Trek Fuel 100 , again I will stick with the Cane Creek 110 EC34 and for the Cannondale CAAD4 Cane Creek 40EC30 headset. Your japanese headset could be either a Tange Levin or a Aheadset or a Dia Compe.