Old 03-31-24, 08:43 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
What tape are you pros using to terminate handlebar wraps? The tape that comes with a the bar tape is awful. Usually unwraps before the first ride. I've been using electrical tape but that's not much better. I just did bar tape last night on a recently purchased used bike that looks to have been bike shop maintained the tape was unbelievable. I had to cut it off.
...many of the best taping jobs I've encountered begin with an underlayment of two sided tape, from 3M. The adhesive on both sides helps secure the overlying bar tape in place, so it doesn't slip around in use. The other thing I've seen used a lot is some sort of gel foam padding, used on the tops or other areas you want extra cushion, used under the corked bar tape, as another underlayer. I finish with the various colors of the heavy duty 3M electrical stuff. I like to be able to remove and rewrap the bar tape, because sometimes there's some mechanical issue that requires it. I bought a bike once that had finish wrapping of a delightful twine rope work pattern weave, which was then shellacked in place. It's impractical if you need to change out anything like the lever positioning or the stem.