Old 04-01-24, 02:36 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 2,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Were I starting out again (but with 45+ years of very part time experience) I would still want a credible flat surface before a jig.
Andy's advice is great if you have room for a "flat surface" — I don't. My tiny shop space has room for a frame jig, only because it's vertical and attached to a wall, so the footprint (aka the floor area it takes up) is minuscule. So for that scenario, look for a jig that can mount to a wall. Doug's Ukrainian jig can do that, I think (Doug, please correct me if that's wrong).

I've worked at shops with fantastic frame alignment systems, one of which was a 6" thick granite precision surface plate big enough for a tandem, nice, but I still believe that's mainly an advantage for a high-volume shop. A typical hobbyist makes maybe 5 frames total before selling (or mothballing) their tools, so paying kilodollars for "stuff" doesn't pencil out, even if you have unlimited space. Vee-blocks laid on a door really is good enough, if making a frame is your actual goal. See if you still want a jig after you've made five or ten frames. Then at least you'll know what kind to get.