Old 04-01-24, 06:11 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 429 Posts
As I will hopefully, finally, have an axle today*, Perhaps I can implement some of this input; thanks. I don't think there is a consensus on the spacing, but I'll target 5mm-6mm from centerline of cog to the inner surface of the dropout. It's starting to look like the safe bet is set the NDS cone and locknut with about 5mm of axle exposure, assemble the hub, slide it into place on the bike, check the clearances on the DS and then cut. This means assembling and disassembling the hub, but that's life. Ideally, I'd have the BB and crankset in place beforehand to check chainlink but, as I might be cold setting the frame (I hope not and right now at 126mm so 6-speed should work) there's a chance it would have to came right back out, I could visualize repeated assemble and disassembly.

*Wow, having fun with getting the Wheels Manufacturing 141mm 10mm x 26TPI replacement axles. WM is out of stock and did not answer my question on when to be back in stock. I found two more at online dealers in Texas and Idaho; the latter sat in Idaho for a long time but is "out for delivery today", OK but I'll believe it when I see it. The one from Texas arrived, and I found they had sent me one that had been cut to 132mm and you could see the hacksaw marks, at least they allowed a return. Found yet another axle in Minnesota, bought but not shipped yet according to UPS. Yes, I am about 35 miles from Baltimore and am expecting every product to be entangled in "supply chain issues" for some time to come, but stuff coming from MN, ID and TX should not need to go through a port -- plus some other items in the past week now experiencing "unexpected delays".