Old 04-02-24, 07:30 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
If candle wax is better and cheaper than oil, What's your point? I think you've missed the point. Candles are basically free and yield longer component lifespans than oil if properly attended to..

Anyone who uses oil deserves all the premature replacement costs they bring upon themselves. If anything, the poor should be the ones who are waxing. Who cares what the rich enthusiasts do?

1 pound of wax = ~408ml (because of density)

Assuming each waxing session uses approximately 5ml of wax 408/5=81 uses per pound. Even at the outrageously high cost of $30 per pound (Molten Speed Wax) divided by 81 waxings the cost comes to less than 37¢ per complete chain flush/cleaning/lubing session. But here's the kicker! A 3 pound purchase of MSW at $59 comes to 24¢ per session.

A bottle of Rock-N-Roll Gold at $8 contains 117ml of oil. At 20 drops to a milliliter x 112 drops per chain equals 5.6ml of oil per lube session. 117ml per bottle divided by 5.6ml equals 20.89 lubes per $8 bottle. $8/20.9=38¢ per lube. And that doesn't include the cost of cleaner/degreaser or the time involved in a bunch of other necessary every single time.

In every single dimension from a raw materials and time cost wax is equal or cheaper than oil. The poor non-enthusiast should wax...And to think, I didn't even figure the cost of chains and cassettes that will last the poor way way longer than any that are oiled.
I feel like you didn't read the exchange that lead to what you're quoting. The other poster thinks candle wax is crap.