View Single Post
Old 04-04-24, 11:36 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 222 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
OP: you indicated you were touring in "Europe", but didn't say where. The "where" may prove important.

I seem to remember [MENTION=210511]Bike Gremlin[/MENTION] saying on his website that Campagnolo components/parts are uncommon in his nation (Serbia), and that Shimano components/parts are much more common. The same may be true in some other parts of Europe as well - particularly in the former Eastern Europe.

From what you've posted earlier, you apparently already have a Shimano-compatible freehub or rear wheel. You might be best off spending a bit and getting/installing a good used or new Shimano or Shimano-compatible drivetrain (crank/chain/FD/RD) and shifters that will handle the wide range cassette you plan to use. But it's your tour, and your legs - so it's your call.

Best of luck, and enjoy the tour.
I don't know about other countries, but for Serbia (and most ex-Yugoslavia neighbouring countries - Montenegro, Bosnia), anything remotely "exotic" is hard to find.
That includes even the modern Shimano stuff (anything released during the last 5 years). SRAM and Campagnolo are even more tricky (in that order of "trickyness" ).

For example, at this time, I don't know any parts or service shop that has long shifter cables for tandems and touring bikes (RD).
I try to always keep a few in stock (Shimano, bought in Germany) in case some touring cyclists come and are in trouble (last time we used one of those was to help some touring cyclists get back on the road).
Yes, you can improvise, but it's nice if you have the right part at hand.

Friction shifters and rim brakes for the win!
Keep it simple.

Relja HoardingHamster Novović

P.S.
If it helps:
Bike repair shops in Serbia
(The few with my logo are good enough for me to recommend - I know how they work, know the owners etc. - it's not a paid advert, it's who I trust)