Old 04-05-24, 02:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,945 Times in 3,405 Posts
Consider the weight as well as the compact size you might can get. I've never had a folding bike, but some look heavy. And you can get some used bikes that weigh in at 18 lbs or less if you look carefully. So it might be easier hanging a regular bike on your shoulder while going up stairs.

Also make sure you know what kind of riding you do. Road bikes are intended for the open road, longer distances and infrequent stops. For city riding in a somewhat leisurely manner with a lot of stop and go I'd get a true cruiser style bike, which you can get new for $500 - $700 USD. Or a look for a mountain bike with comfortable seating and maybe even suspension. Though with those, weight will be higher and stairs and other things will need consideration.

Only if you are going to be riding around NYC like a adrenaline crazed junkie, could I ever believe a road bike is better for the city. Though some here will claim they are. And they probably ride like a adrenaline crazed junkie, just like I do.... but I don't ride that way in the city! <grin>

For a bike tour... 40 miles? for that one time you don't need a special bike. But you do need to get in shape. Though if you are young, most could tough out even longer distance. And just regret it for the next few days afterward!

Welcome to BF.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-05-24 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For Iride01: