Old 04-05-24, 03:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,762 Times in 2,560 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I aimed for its head figuring that nobody ever got struck by a tail.
In late spring, there are lots of pregnant rattlesnakes stretched out on the gravel roads around here. If it's on a downhill, I always aim for their tails. But the rattlesnakes around here coil up before they strike, it's pretty safe to pass by one that's stretched out. OTOH, I'm pretty sure I have aimed to go behind their tail and rode right past their head.

Originally Posted by freeranger
Decades ago, went to a rail trail in eastern PA with my wife and some friends. Unloaded the bikes, and as we were starting up the trail, came across a person with a burlap (I guess) bag and a pole with a curve on the end. Yep, they were catching rattlers so the venom could be "milked", to create anti-venom.
In most parts of Pa, you can expect there to be rattlesnakes along most rivers and creeks, because that's where their prey is. Doesn't stop people from fishing or otherwise using the rivers. Most rail trails here are next to a river, because otherwise it would be uneconomic to use trains. So snakes are a pretty common feature of many Pennsylvania rail trails. First time I was in the so-called grand canyon of Pennsylvania on the Pine Creek rail trail, there was a crowd surrounding a giant snake. I figured it was somewhat unwise, but the snake wasn't bothered. There is a company here in town that catches snakes for anti-venom. I have never seen them out hunting snakes though.

My spouse and I have been riding a lot of rail trails since she got her ebike. We have yet to see a snake when riding together. The most interesting wildlife we have seen were female turtles laying eggs. Most of the baby turtles probably got eaten by rattlesnakes.