rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 5,868 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
There are deer aplenty in all the populated spots up here in the hills. Plenty of people actively feed the deer and then are incredulous as to why we have issues with the cats. They come for the deer, but often find that pets and livestock are easier prey.

I've had several mountain lion sightings up here...most of the time I was in my vehicle and they crossed the road in front of me. I did see one hanging out in a clearing, about 100' off the road, when I was riding my road bike near dusk. He nonchalantly looked over his shoulder at me, decided I was neither a threat nor tasty, and then went about his business. I just kept riding, while looking over my shoulder. A friend of mine got stocked by one, while out trail running locally. It charged him multiple times, hissing and screeching, but it finally ran away when he hit it in the face with a rock.
The issue here with these cat attacks is that their habitat has been relentlessly logged for the last 40 years. The deer have moved out and the cats are emaciated and will go for anything that moves. This is the second emaciated cat attack in the last 3 years. The one I posted took place about 1.5 miles from my house and the other about 7 miles. Habitat destruction is driving the cats into areas where they typically avoided. Four days ago, a man posted a mother cougar and two almost full size juveniles a mere 1/2 mile from the house. I mountain biked those hills for 15 years and never saw one, but ran into black bear and coyotes. Damn logging.

Likes For rsbob: