Old 04-06-24, 07:47 AM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I haven't read the reports but it looks like all the advice is for the cyclist and the pedestrian to be viligent and careful. Is there anywhere else in the report telling motorists to be vigilent and careful so that they can avoid collisions too?

These kind of report make you think that drivers are an independant force of nature that the participant has to adapt and accomodate. But drivers are made up of civilized human beings too and we'd like to think they are also reasonable and adaptable to pedestrians and cyclists.

I am a member of CAA and do receive their seasonal magazine. A few years ago in their summer issue, CAA had a big section about cycling. The article had a whole bunch of pointers how to cycle carefully. I noted and wrote back to CAA the next time to include a whole bunch of pointers for motorists for what to expect from cyclists, why they have to do what they do and how to avoid any collision or confrontational situations.

I also attend many Complete Streets public consultations in Toronto. They have publications called something like safety tips for cyclists and safety tips for pedestrians. I asked one of the staff that if they knew which guide was missing? Yeah, they said they ran out of the safety guide for drivers.
I think focusing on changing behaviour of mototists has to come primarily from changes to infrastructure design with a focus on passive designs. Relying on enforcement and changes to laws will help a bit but it isn’t as sustainable. That same can be true for cyclists, pedestrians etc.

Regardless of the exact timing of these studies, the results are incredibly alarming. And I don’t think from my experience, that these results would be much different today.