Old 04-06-24, 06:11 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I wanted to share that I just finished listening to a fascinating podcast about the development and manufacturing of high-end carbon bikes. The interview featured the owner of Factor Bikes who provided some interesting insights. One of the things that really caught my attention was the actual cost of the materials used in making top-tier bikes. I was also surprised to learn about the amount of time it takes to train a builder.
I've been kinda busy with work the last few weeks, missed having time to keep up with new threads here.

This one caught my eye this afternoon so in reply to your title question I have to ask: you priced a Bugatti Veyron or McClaren street ride lately?

Used to be you could spend a couple hundred thousand on super-fast, expensive and state-of-the (then) -art street vehicle. A Lotus Elan S2 was like $5,500 new, Shelby 427 Cobra was $7,000.

Now a 'used' original 427 Cobra in good shape runs maybe $2,000,000, an original Elan maybe $80,000.

I'm still riding my 1972 era $400 Motobecane road bike, weather permitting, never put a carbon-anything between my legs.
Likes For spclark: