Old 04-06-24, 09:38 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 5,231 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
@jamesdak - many of those bike have the same saddle but not all, measuring from the center of the saddle for similar seats I think works, I do wonder about the other saddles, I have found how I perch on a different saddle other than my typical will end up with a cm adjustment so that my knee ends up the in same position when the cranks are at 3 o’clock., with a plumb Bob dropped from a sharpie dot on my knee. This is a two person job.
So, how I do it is set the saddle height based on the top of any given saddle. Then the setback is done by hanging a homemade plumb bob from the measured center of the saddle for my reference point. Before the knee replacments last year I'd get bad pain in the knees if the setback was off or the saddle too low. Plus several of those pictures have saddles I don't normally ride on them. Like the Flite on the Olmo, my butt hates those. Should have picked better pics but I wasn't thinking. A lot of the pics above are from the sale ads after I swapped out my preferred saddle and put on one that looks good on the bike but that doesn't work for me.

My preferred saddle are Fizik Kurves Chameleons but I can get along with all three of the Fizik shapes. Sometimes the Aliante won't work for me though with an aggressive saddle to bar drop. I also have a tendency now to prefer shallow drop bars...age catching up to me maybe. LOL!

I am curious to see what happens this year with both knees now replaced and my bowleggedness gone. Curious to see if some slight changes to saddle position will make a difference in comfort or speed. I'm just having problems still with the right knee. 5 months after surgery and I have a bad hitch in it for about the first 3 miles. So bad I lift off the saddle as I go over the top of the stroke on the right side. Then for the rest of the ride I have pressure/resistance to flex in that knee that never loosens up. It's trashed my cadence and speed right now and I hope it's not permanent. I was at full speed on the left knee about 3 months after surgery.