Old 04-06-24, 10:00 PM
Stosheroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Help me understand what gravel biking is.

I've read hundreds of various cycling forum posts about what gravel bikes are and how they're supposed to be built and equipped. I've read just as many posts about whether MTBs or cyclocross bikes or touring bikes or road bikes can be made into or can serve effectively as gravel bikes. At this point, it seems to me that a gravel bike to one person is very often not a gravel bike to someone else. The term 'gravel bike' has been used to describe cycling in so many different riding environments that it's hard to know what it really means.

To some folks, gravel cycling is cycling on dedicated, hard packed gravel trails. To others it's cycling on what many would call mountain bike trails comprised of rocks, ruts, sand, mud and lots of elevation changes. To some, it's fast paced and to others it isn't. These cycling contexts are vastly different from one another. Wouldn't folks who typically ride on rough, rocky, rutted, hilly/mountainous trails be well served with a MTB with 26" wheels? Likewise, wouldn't folks who typically ride graveled rails-to-trails type bike paths and rural gravel roads be well served with a touring bike, a sport-touring bike, or a road bike with appropriately treaded 700c wheels? Perhaps the term 'gravel bike' evolved from a combination of cyclists who want to customize their bikes for the environments they typically ride in. Or, maybe it started with bike manufacturers pursuing increased profits through product differentiation. In any case, I'd be interested in others' thoughts.