Old 04-07-24, 02:26 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
When you say Detroit, I do not believe you're talking Detroit city but rather one of the suburbs. In the city proper, they are trying to make it bike friendly but it is slow going,. In the outer parts it is flat with many side roads and farm areas. To get to more natural areas you'll need to ride a fair bit
I haven't been to the area in decades. When I was, the whole of "greater Detroit area" is set up for cars. Period. I-75 and I-696 is the mass-transit system. Out in the 'burbs, even if well within commuting distance, forget it because the roads you would ride have no paved shoulder, and cars and heavy trucks are whizzing by inches from your left shoulder. It is sometimes possible to set up a known course that winds through suburban neighborhoods to transit long distance, especially with phone navigation, but too many subdivisions are dead-ends and not thru, with the intention of preventing cars from cutting through to shortcut around rush-hour traffic.

Now for recreation, two metroparks in particular, Stoney Creek and Kensington, have paved bike paths around each lake, great for both biking or inline skating. Biking I actually did on the road loop because my speed was so high (for a bike) and car speed limit is low and enforced.

Plus winter weather is an issue, ice or salted-slush, though a lot less of that in recent decades with climate change. I didn't bike in winter, I nordic-tracked inside.

I've heard Detroit downtown is a lot better than in past decades, even the Detroit Lions moved back there from 20 miles out in Pontiac. But I would be astonished if bikeability in downtown or in any suburb, outside of small sidestreets, is safe. I will say, the summer I bought my first good road bike, I rode from Auburn Hills to Ann Arbor via Pontiac Trail, that was an epic ride, about 50 miles, and traffic on the roads was sparse being a Saturday, but still I was riding on the edge of roads, I was more daring then than I am now.