Old 04-07-24, 06:24 AM
Stosheroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
"It depends where you live and the riding surfaces in you area."

This makes complete sense to me.

I don't understand why someone would suggest a bike built to handle unique riding conditions is suboptimal or not a 'true' gravel bike if it doesn't conform to their idea of what a gravel bike is supposed to be. To me, then, touring bikes, road bikes, MTBs, and anything in between are gravel bikes if they get us comfortably, efficiently, and safely down the mostly or occasionally unpaved roads and paths we normally ride.

The reason I even posted here is because I'm in the process of building a bike to accommodate my specific riding preferences and conditions but I'm hard-pressed to characterize it with a name. A riding companion introduced me to the term 'gravel bike' only last year. I was confused about what the term meant, and wondered if that was what I wanted to build for myself. Based on responses here, I guess I'm building a 'gravel bike' but all I'm really doing is building the perfect bike for me.

My riding is done exclusively on paved and graveled local bike paths and rural roads. I generally don't ride on MTB trails or single tracks, and I don't race on any surface. The bike I'm putting together is built on a 1988 Trek 520 touring frame I had my LBS add a second set of rear eyelets to. It will have 35-38mm tires on 700c rims with Shimano 105 hubs. The drivetrain is 10-speed 105 with a triple crank. Brakes will be either Tektro Onyx or Shimano BR-CT91 cantis. The bar is a non-rising Jones H-Loop bar to give me a more upright position to accommodate some lower back issues. Shifters are Dura Ace 10-speed bar ends on Paul Thumbies. It isn't going to be an especially responsive bike but I don't need it to be given where I ride. It'll do perfectly for any day rides or shorter tours I might take given my specific riding conditions. It seems some would call it a gravel bike and some wouldn't, and that's fine with me.

Last edited by Stosheroo; 04-07-24 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For Stosheroo: