View Single Post
Old 04-09-24, 09:26 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Rather than retype it, I'll offer this Sheldon Brown article on cantilever brakes. I don't agree with everything he says...I think he is way off on lever pull...but his advice is pretty good. I have 3 bikes with cantilevers and all of them are set up with fairly short straddle cables...about 45°. I use the free floating straddle cables rather than Shimano's stupid link wire. I also use Paul Moon Units for the hanger. The Moon Unit is wider and makes for a more responsive brake
OK - thanks. Sheldon Brown clearly shows that shortening the working length of the straddle cable increases the mechanical advantage of the brakes. However, other things, such as the levers and the brakes themselves, also provide mechanical advantage. You certainly want mechanical advantage, but not to the point of reducing actual brake movement beyond reasonable limits. Changing the working length of the straddle cable is an easy way to adjust the mechanical advantage of the entire system.

Thus, the answer to my original question is to ride, test, and adjust. To increase pad travel, you can increase the length of the straddle cable. To get more brake pressure at the expense of travel, shorten the straddle cable.