View Single Post
Old 04-11-24, 06:18 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
Hello Everyone,
I am a long time volunteer at a local non-profit that repairs and gives away bikes. We receive quite a few 90's era ATB's with Shimano Rapidfire shifters that are gummed up and do not operate. I am looking for suggestions of what solution(s) to soak the shifters in (off the bike) that will dissolve the hardened beeswax -like old Shimano grease. So far I have been pretty successful soaking them for about 2 days in gasoline but I am not crazy about the residue left (or flammability). I have heard of using mineral spirits, acetone, brake fluid, etc... I would like to use something safe and if possible non harsh chemicals, I am open to any and all suggestions to solve this problem ! Thanks in advance.
I use "Tyme" for some of my work (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). To be honest, I haven't tried it on plastic, but my hunch is that it would be okay.