View Single Post
Old 04-11-24, 08:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,363 Posts
I also use BikeCad. I will again suggest that the design method the OP starts playing with might be best if it is the same as what the class/instructor will use. less translation or getting up to speed when taking the class.

As to books- I can't say there's even one or two that offer a thorough and overall view of geometry for a wide range of bike types and intended use, or at least among those I've looked at. Here's a few that I have used in the past: The Paterek Manual, Touring Bikes (Tony Oliver), Bicycle Design (Hadland and Lessing), Bicycle Science (Wilson) and the CONI manual. There are others but these are what I have on my shelf. Most don't go into much depth about steering geometry however Bicycling Science is, perhaps, the most in depth here and has Jim Papadopoulos contributing (for those who don't know of Jim P he's, perhaps, the most knowledgeable person about the relationships between angles, diameters, and rakes/trail alive today. Do know that predicting the actual handling manor of a bike is hard to do for at least one reason, the rider's body and brain vary from rider to rider and even day to day. Andy

An interesting read but of little real world value is the Scientific American article on the unrideable bike. Andy