Thread: Rest Days
View Single Post
Old 04-12-24, 12:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3516 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I am aiming to ride the Natchez Trace perhaps this summer. Approximately 465 miles. Trying to determine how much time to budget with the necessary rest days at my age of 71.
Natchez Trace is fairly flat at the south end, steeper hills further north. If there is a detour for road construction, the detour could have some very steep hills. I walked up several hills on a detour.

Summer, could have high humidity and heat, that might mean you need shorter days if you have to quit earlier. I did it a year ago during early April to avoid the heat.

I left you a link on my Natchez trip at your other post on AI. That will give you some more resources. There are not a lot of places to stop to get water along the way, it would be best to plan ahead and know where there are stores, or carry enough water to last the day.