View Single Post
Old 04-12-24, 03:42 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
All cyclists are known to have poor bone strength, including roadies. Runners and weight lifters stress their bones that result in more bone strength, but cyclists don't. For that reason, when I go to the gym (three times a week in winter, once a week in summer), I always try to stress my leg bones on a leg press to aid in bone density. (And other exercises for other bones.) This lack of bone density is common for cyclists and also common for older people. If you are an older cyclist, that makes you especially susceptible. Two years ago I had a bone density test, result was good. A friend of mine crashed his bike about a decade ago and broke a hip so badly that he no longer cycles, but he had not tried to do anything to improve bone strength. My point here is that bone strength might be a bigger issue than the other things you cited. But that is something that we can work on ourselves, which many people do not do.
You are so right about the impact training. I would augment my bike riding with weights, and running. I find running really helps my bicycling. I need to get back out and do it again. I had some issues that took me out of weight lifting and running, I lost a lot of muscle mass and endurance. I basically have to start over and that has been a challenge and rather depressing. I am slowly starting to run again, but have mainly been walking.

I found riding the bike so much easier if I run. It really helps, and of course as you said, it strengthens the bones, which really becomes important as we age.